Three toofers, and a rice ball.

Hey Gabby fans... Gabby's Daddy and I are so sorry for our recent lack of updates. I've recently heard gripes from a few of you. Joe says if you publicize your gripes in comments on this blog, he's more likely to respond in a more timely manner. We've had no idea if anyone's even been looking for updates these past two weeks.

Digging the hat-head

Okay, so...first the excuses...in the past couple of weeks, all three of us have all suffered from coughs, colds, and fevers, Gabby and I had conjunctivitis, I had laryngitis, and when we finally thought we were all in the clear, I sprained my ankle. (Try caring for a newly mobile 9.5 month old with a swollen, purple, painful ankle...it's not easy)! Once the ankle was better, we went through another full-family round of colds and fevers! On top of that, Joe and I have been absolutely swamped at work. Joe's in the midst of budget season, and my project that I've been working on since August goes "live" tomorrow. So... we've been VERY busy! But we're FINALLY all healthy and doing great!

So...since we last wrote, there hasn't been tons to report aside from minor illnesses, but here's what else has been going on. On October 31st Gabby had her 9 month check-up and shots. G's Daddy had to take her solo, because I had to work, and he said it wouldn't have been too bad, except that after the nurse administered the first two shots, she said, "Oops, I forgot one." So just as G was finally consoled, the nurse came back and stabbed her again. Evidently she was pretty inconsolable after that. Poor little munchkin (and poor little Daddy!!). After that, she went to daycare with her adorable jack-o-lantern costume (see previous posts). Joe and I got out of work early to join her Halloween party, but when we got there, she was sitting in her classroom alone with one teacher, on the floor in her costume, crying. Evidently the time change the night before, along with the shots, made G not a very happy Halloween camper. So...off with the costume and home and to bed. So much for her first Halloween. Better luck next year!

JP at sunset

The weekend of 11/5, we all headed out on Saturday. First, we visited with our newest baby friend, Molly, in Norton. She's 2 months old, and while we caught up with her parents Rachel and Paul, Gabby enjoyed playing with Molly's big brother Noah's toys. Noah seemed to enjoy having another baby in the house, and even graced Gabby with an adorable kiss on the nose! He's going to be such a great big brother!

After that we headed to Babci and Papa's house, where Gabby was thrilled to hang out withBabci, Papa, Auntie Marta, and Auntie Meagan. Mommy and Daddy also got a night out! We went out for a nice dinner and movie (only the second movie we've been to since G was born)! We got back around midnight, only to find out that our poor little munchkin was running a little fever... so we were immediately back to parent-mode. She survived unscathed and was all better in the morning.

Happy Gabby!

On Sunday, we visited with our baby-to-be friend "Baby B" and her parents Karen and Ilan. Baby B is due in a couple of weeks, and we enjoyed lending the B. family some books and gear, and sharing some parenting tips (unsolicited, of course. Hope we didn't overwhelm the parents-to-be too much)! Karen looks great, and Gabby can't wait to meet her newest little girlfriend!

This week was pretty much the same-old same-old, but on Friday, Gabby had the pleasure of spending the day with Auntie Marta, because daycare was closed for Veteran's Day. She and Auntie Marta played and played, ate yummy food, and went to the park to play on the swings. It was pretty chilly out, so G was all bundled up, but she loved swinging, nonetheless. She also had a little dance party to her newest kiddie CD when she started to get crabby in the afternoon. Her newest development that day was that she began grinding her teeth. The sound is so horrible, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. It sounded so terrible that I actually called G's pediatrician. When I told him she was grinding her teeth, he laughed and asked, "How many teeth does she have?" knowing it was not many. Three I told him, with one more coming in soon. He said there wasn't much we could do about it, except offer her other things to chew on, and try some Tylenol for teething pain (and bring her in if she develops any other symptoms). So...we're living with this horrible grinding sound for the time being. Hopefully it'll calm down once she finally cuts that second top front tooth.

Speaking of which, I have been trying to photograph those elusive "toofers" for DAYS, but to no avail. I'm now extremely impressed with the picture that Meredith got of Wee Z's adorable bottom teeth. If Wee Z's as protective as G is of her little teeth, then it must have been a monumental feat to get that picture!

Taking a ride on the subway!!!

Yesterday, we bundled G up and took the T to the North End for lunch. Joe has been desperately searching for "arancini" (breaded and deep-fried risotto rolls with beef, mozzarella & green peas) for months, but everytime we go out for Italian for dinner, he's told it's a lunch thing. Last time we were in the North End, our waiter recommended Galeria Umberto for the rice-ball treat. So, we headed there yesterday, only to find they were closed due to a death in the family. Very sad. Instead, we got sandwiches as Cafe Pompei, and after we ordered, Joe was pleased to see they actually had arancini as well (not on the menu, but he spied them in a display case)! Gabby feasted on Cheerios (the only thing she seems to want to eat lately), but also pleased us by trying some of Daddy's meatball and some of Mommy's focaccia bread.

North End, Boston, MA

After lunch we wandered around Faneuil Hall and Haymarket before heading home for Gabby's nap. (Joe also enjoyed a nap with his daughter).

So...that's what we've all been up to. Now, here's an update on Gabby's development. Since we last posted, Gabby has become incredibly mobile. She can now get anywhere as long as there are no high hurdles to climb. She prefers cruising to crawling, but when she runs out of things to hold on to, she drops to her bum and gracefully switches to a crawl to get to the next piece of furniture, toy, windowsill, or wall on which she can pull herself up again. I think her cutest move is when she holds on to something with one-hand while standing, and stoops down to pick something up off the floor with her other hand.

A nice fall photo

In eating updates...today has been a big day for Gabby. She actually ate some baby oatmeal and applesauce for breakfast, not just Cheerios. Then, we had lunch as a family, and Gabby ate a couple pieces of whole wheat Annie's mac-n-cheese, a bite of broccoli from Mommy's Hot Pocket, and a bite of Daddy's meatloaf. This may not seem like a big deal to you readers, but this is a monumental eating achievement for the munchkin who has pretty much only eaten Cheerios for the past two weeks!

Bathtime is fun...

Joe's addition...
We set up the living room furniture to create a walled in Gabby-pit. With the automan as a sliding door, we feel pretty safe plopping our little one in the pit and then going about our business - like making dinner, bottles, etc. Last night, B and I were playing with Gabby in the pit, when she spied the automan not quite in position. There was a breach in the perimeter. She made her move without hesitation. Quickly crawling over her toys and grabbing hold of the automan for support. Up to her feet, she scooted her way through the breach...all the while smiling at us and our inaction. It was finally time to stop laughing and nab the escapee before she got out into the rest of the house. That little girl is going to keep us on our toes.

I want to give a shout out to Tiny D’s Dad. In what I’m sure is no surprise to anyone that knows him, he passed the bar.


Erin & Arthur said...

Now that's what I call an update! Sounds like you guys are doing great up in Boston. We can't wait to see you next month so we can see Gabby (and her parents) in person.

The Hobbs said...

Yay! Lots of Gabby updates! :) Totally worth the wait. Sorry to hear that you've all been sick - hope all is well now. Good luck with the little escape artist!